EchoVC is looking to hire an Associate to be a member of the investment team and work closely with the startup founders we invest in. Ideally, candidates should have experience working in the world of venture-backed technology startups as a founder, employee, or intern. In the absence of that, other previous entrepreneurial and/or investment experience of any kind is a significant plus, especially if it relates to information technology.
- Screen entrepreneurs’ pitch decks, conduct interviews with entrepreneurs, help investment Partners and Principals with due diligence, and creating investment memos
- Evaluate opportunities for investment, assess investment risks, analyze financial data, and perform business and investment valuation
- Proactively source new investment opportunities
- Manage due diligence process, write investment memos and assist with investment execution
- Conduct market research on competitive industries and evaluate their products and services, and the demand for these competitive products and services
- Assist EchoVC staff in carrying out various group and individual activities related to supporting entrepreneurs in the pre and post funding stages
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, clients, financing orgs, lawyers and ICT ecosystem players
- Develop and deliver presentations to the EchoVC team, portfolio companies and clients
- Coordinate with internal partners on high-impact strategies and evaluation
- Represent EchoVC at relevant sector specific conferences, meetups, and events
- Represent EchoVC at events that help build the ecosystem for diverse entrepreneurs in tech
- Lagos, Nigeria
- Previous experience (2-4 years) and knowledge of the world of technology startups as a founder, early stage employee, or other full-time role
- Demonstrated experience with a high-impact organization
- Demonstrated success working with diverse teams
- Advanced financial modeling and valuation skills
- A bachelor’s degree (An MBA is a plus)
- Degree in Computer Science or exposure to self taught development coursework a significant plus
- Work experience in venture capital, consulting, investment banking, or other finance organizations
- Familiarity with venture capital financing structures and practices, e.g., convertible debt and equity
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with entrepreneurs and other clients from diverse backgrounds is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills
- Positive entrepreneurial outlook with desire to make a large impact on an organization
- Strong personal networks amongst entrepreneurs
- Familiarity with major tech ecosystem individuals, groups and events
- You will have co-ownership of your projects and manage these projects from start to finish
- Interact with VCs, entrepreneurs, and ICT ecosystem players
- Learn about commerce, media, education, health care, consumer finance, financial inclusion, agriculture, transportation and other sectors in which we invest
- We offer a competitive compensation and health benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit applications to : recruiting at echovc dot com.
- Applications should include a cover letter/email, resume or LinkedIn profile, and thoughtful answers to the following questions below:
- Why do you want a job in technology venture capital in Sub-Saharan Africa?
- Why did you want a job with EchoVC, specifically?
- What/who do you care about most?
- Pick a subset of an underserved population in SSA and describe how you see technology improving their lives?
- Using Professor Adam Grant’s ‘Give and Take’ as a framework, how would you classify yourself? Why?
- What’s your favorite piece of media (art, music, film, literature, etc.)? Why?
- Describe a time in your life when you balked against conventional wisdom. Why? How did that turn out? What did you learn about yourself?
- Would you do this job for free? Why or why not? What would you do for free?
- If you could start a company, what would it be and how would you go about making it a winner?
If you would like to send us your resume so we can keep you in mind for future positions, please send your resume to:
recruiting at echovc dot com.